Friday, April 27, 2012

Meet Oliver


Since Jazzie May had her moment in the sun a couple of months ago, I thought I'd introduce you to her brother, Oliver. 

He did an interview with Mel Teshco for the LoveCats a couple of years ago that I'll paste below, or you can read the original post here.

***

Name: Oliver. Olivander. Ollie.

Abode: I live in a house in the trees with my humans. Unfortunately, three other dogs live there with us.

Likes: Chocolate and cream. Neither of which I get because they're apparently bad for dogs, but I'm optimistic that one day it will happen, so I always keep an eye out. I do get a box of dog chocolates every Christmas though, which is nice.

Getting up on the human bed with the female human in the mornings. The male human gets up early and takes all the black and white dogs with him, leaving just the two of us to catch a few more minutes sleep in the peace and quiet.

Dislikes: Kefuffles. I hate it when the other dogs run or get excited. When the human hits tennis balls for the Border Collies, I try to get out of the way and be inconspicuous.

Ambition: A nice, calm, peaceful life. Preferably where I'm an only dog.
 
Sociable or Aloof: Well, I don't actually like other dogs. Or cats. Or most humans. But there is a select group of humans I like (about 7) and with them, I let down my guard and am very sociable. The word "sooky" has been used about me, but I'm not sure what it means.

Night Owl or Early Bird: Definitely not an early bird (see note above about sleeping in). And if the female human has a deadline and works late at night, I wait up with her, so I guess I can be a night owl.

Favourite Pastime: When the Border Collies play tennis with the humans, Fergus and I wander through the bush and sniff things. Sometimes we find trails where uncivilized animals have been the night before. Sometimes we find a brush turkey. 

But my favourite of all things to find is a lizard or a snake. I love reptile watching. On lucky days, we get a gecko in the house and I can sit and stare at it for hours. I don't try and hurt them (usually), I just like to watch and smell them. My humans think it's useful, because when we have a snake in the house, they see me watching it and they take it outside.

Favourite Toy: I have a fluffy black teddy bear that I love to death. Literally. The human only gives it to me for short periods of time, and under supervision. But, really, if it's my teddy and I want to pull out the eyes and chew off the ears, shouldn't I be allowed to?

Best Friend: You mean another dog? I don’t like dogs. Or cats. Or most humans. See above.

Most embarrassing moment: I had cancer under my arm a few years ago and, after the surgery, I had to have special bandaging that went over my shoulder and down to my toes. It was replaced every two days and I was very embarrassed having it done, and walking around like that. I'm sure the other dogs were laughing at me.

Special Skill: I can leap like a racehorse. I tuck up my front feet and I sail through the air. I have to be very excited to do it though. Say, if one of my humans walks me up the top of our hill and I hear the other human come outside the house and call me, I run very fast down the hill and leap over fallen trees as I go. It's exhilarating!

***

Update on the favourite toy question - Ollie still loves his teddy bear, but he's discovered the joy of squeaky balls. He now has two of them and spends our twice-daily dog-tennis time burying them, then finding them the next time, digging them up and burying them somewhere else.

If he catches us watching him, he'll abandon that location and find a more private place to bury his treasure. And when he's looking for a new spot, he carries them very carefully in his mouth so they don't squeak. As he said above, he hates kerfuffles or noise.

That photo above is Oliver on his first ever trip to the beach. Who knew such things existed?

5 comments:

  1. Lovely Ollie - squeaky balls are the BEST! Snuffles and licks from Kelsey xxx (It's ok because we're just pawpals and that's allowed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Oliver is a *magnificent* dog! I'm not usually a dog person, but he looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, with personality plus. What a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. That 'anonymous' was me, Malvina. Still wresting with Google for my profile. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare and Kelsey, Ollie's not sure if even remote snuffles and licks are desirable. Though he's tentatively willing to give it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malvina, magnificent is a great word for Ollie!

    When I first met him, he was at the RSPCA and they were calling him Prince. He was about 12 months old and had been a stray, so they didn't have a name for him. He hadn't learned the name yet, so I changed it (he looked like an Oliver) but there is definitely something princely, magnificent and majestic about him. He'll appreciate that you noticed. :)

    Hope you and google can resolve your differences!

    ReplyDelete